Welland Minor Baseball Association's local MLB Pitch, Hit and Run Competition. Saturday, May 11. 10:00am - 12:00pm at Memorial Park Diamond 2.
@ Memorial Park Diamond 2
May. 11, 2019 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Major League Baseball Pitch Hit & Run (PHR) is a FREE, 1-day event for boys and girls ages 7-14. Competitors compete in four age groups: 7/8, 9/10, 11/12, 13/14. Age is determined as of July 17, 2019. PHR is the official skills competition of Major League Baseball.
WMBA participants compete in the Baseball Division and have the opportunity to advance through four levels of competition including Locals, Sectionals, Team Championships and the National Finals during MLB All-Star Week.
- Local Competition - Saturday, May 11. 2019 at Memorial Park Diamond 2
- All-Around, Pitching, Hitting and Running Champions advance from EACH division age group.
- Sectional Competition - Early/Mid May-Early June
- Each Sectional is part of an MLB team's geographic market.
- All-Around Champions in each division age group are ELIGIBLE to advance to their markets Team Championship.
- The top 3 scores in each division age group among the Sectional All-Around Champions within each MLB geographic market will advance to the Team Championships. Advancement notified by PHR Headquarters. All-Around Champions at the Sectional do NOT automatically advance.
- MLB Team Championship - Late May - June
- Held in all 30 Major League Ballparks.
- Participants must place first in their age group to be ELIGIBLE to advance. The top 3 scores in each division age group out of all 30 MLB Team Championships will advance to the National Finals. Advancement notified by PHR Headquarters. All-Around Champions at the Team Championship do NOT automatically advance.
- National Finals - MLB All-Star Week
- National Finalists will receive an all-expense paid trip to MLB All-Star Week. Finalists will participate in an array of festivities upon arrival, including competing on-field prior to shagging fly balls during the Home Run Derby!
Information on the Pitch, Hit & Run skills testing
The PITCH portion of the program will test how accurately a competitor can throw strikes to a designated "Strike Zone" target from a designated distance (45 feet for the baseball division). Any method of underhand/overhand pitching or throwing is accepted. An attempt hitting ANY portion of the target will be deemed a strike.
The HIT portion of the program will test a competitor's ability to hit from a stationary batting tee, along a tape measure from home plate, toward straight-away centerfield. Hits will be measured for distance and accuracy.
The RUN portion of the program will measure a competitor's speed in a sprint from the start line, touching third base, and touching home plate. ALL participants will run a total of 120 feet.
For more information please visit www.mlb.com/pitch-hit-and-run or contact our Special Events Coordinator Nicky Gullion at Events@wellandminorbaseball.ca